Monday, April 9, 2007

Tool Concerts

My family thinks I'm cheap. I've never heard this said about me by anyone else. I'm not completely sure where it originated. I definitely have a hard time spending money and typically get worried I'm getting cheated. Then after I spend the money on something, I look at whatever the item is in terms of how much I paid for it and I am constantly evaluating whether or not I am getting my money's worth. This many times leads to me not relaxing and appreciating whatever the item is. This is especially true when it comes to travel.

Tool is playing two shows in Vegas at the end of this month. Christina talked me into purchasing tickets to both shows via online auction. These tickets were $250 per ticket for a total of $1,000 for two shows. Plus we have to fly down there and get hotel rooms. Altogether the weekend is looking to be about $2,000. Then I have no time to take off of work, so we will only to be able to stay in Vegas for two nights. These shows were originally supposed to take place two weeks ago, but the drummer tore his bicep postponing the trip to the end of this month. That ended up costing us a little more money in airline and hotel cancellations, but the worst is that it puts the show right in the middle of Christina's exams. So the time not spent at the shows will be spent studying.



A couple of other motivating factors:
-Tool will be playing at a small brand new venue at the Palms. This theater is supposed to be amazing. Tool was originally booked to be the opening act, but after the drummer's injury, Gwen Stefani will be opening it. The place only holds 2,200 people. I got to see Tool at a venue this size once before in Atlanta. That was amazing.
-The guys in Tool are in their upper thirties and lower forties. This could be the last time we ever get to see them.

Beyond that Tool is the greatest band ever. I have been listening to them since 1996 when Ross Latimer let me borrow a CD on the way to a soccer game. I remember originally thinking it wasn't that good. I'm not sure what made me continue listening or when I became so obsessed, but by the time I started college in 1997, they had taken over the top spot as my favorite band from Nirvana and have stayed there since. I can't imagine anything taking their place.

This is in large part because of how emotional and life changing my life was from my Junior year in HS through college and then the first year of my relationship with Christina. It may be forced by me, but it seems that tool has grown with me. I wouldn't say they helped me through the time, because I don't really think my life would be that different without them and that sounds kind of stupid. Actually I'm not really sure how to sum it up.

Anyway, the emotions many of the songs used to bring out of me no longer have the effect. Mainly because I don't feel the emotions anymore. This kind of takes away from the experience of seeing them a bit. But even without this component, they are still incredible to watch and hear in person.

Since this band has been such a big part of my life (sidenote: I was just thinking about it, and I bet over the last ten years, I have listened to at least one tool song 60% of those days), I decided to try to disect as many of these songs as I can on this blog before going to the show. This should be a vulnerable thing to do, but it seems like a good way to get ready for the shows. And it will help me forget about how much money I am spending to see them, so I'll relax and enjoy it.

No comments: