Sunday, March 4, 2007

State - Carolina

I have been an NC State fan my entire life. My dad went to school there and instilled the love from the beginning. I was lucky enough to go to school there as well. It is difficult to describe the emotional investment I have made to the athletic programs. Nick Hornby wrote a great book called Fever Pitch where he discusses his love of Arsenal and I think that he sums up how I feel for for NC State.

Anyway, today the NC State women's basketball team will be playing UNC for the ACC championship. I really don't care for women's athletics. It is like watching sports in slow motion. So why would I care about the game today? Well it is NC State against UNC for the ACC championship. And as much love as I have for NC State is about how much hatred I have for UNC. They're the priveleged class who deserve nothing, but get everything. It is so satisfying to watch them lose. But it hurts so bad to watch them beat my Wolfpack. In fact, yesterday the NC State women pulled off a huge upset in beating the undefeafeted Duke women, but all I could think about was how sad I was because now they have to play UNC. A loss to UNC would completely wipe out the tremendous accomplishment made yesterday.

The game is going to be televised here in Boise, and I'm going to attempt to watch it. The Greensboro Colisseum should be packed and if State pulls another upset by beating UNC, then there will be plenty of disappointed Carolina fans. The look of dejected UNC people gives me such pleasure.

Look at Hansboro after State made him look stupid. Crying fits so well with that baby blue.


2 comments:

Keith said...

State lost. It looked like they lost their legs about midway through the first half.

One thing I learned though: Women have not yet learned how to pump fake.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.